We are a congregation of Missionaries.
Mission is the essence of our charisma.
OUR MISSIONS IN EGYPT
St Joseph Parish Zamalek
The Island of Zamalek was bought as a site for the Leo XIII colony for Sudanese people who had fled from the Mahdiya in Sudan. With the connection of Zamalek island to Cairo with the bridges, the island has changed into a central neighbourhood of the Egyptian capital, host to a number of embassies and meeting point for expats. Thus the parish has evolved into a gathering point for catholic of different nationalities.
CORDI JESU RAMSES
The history of this Church goes back to 1874, when, for the first time, serious urban planning was carried out in Cairo. Bishop Comboni received land from the khedive Ismail on which he was to construct a center for the formation of young Sudanese. On December 27, 1880, before his last trip to Khartoum, Bishop Comboni blessed the foundation stone of Cordi Jesu. This became the first sanctuary in Africa to be dedicated to the Heart of Christ. This work was completed in 1884. in 1927, the Church was demolished so as to be enlarged and adorned with precious marble from Italy.
There is a good number of Egyptian university students that are showing interest in knowing more of the journey of faith and discernment enriched by a variety of missionary realities from other countries. The office of Youth Chaplaincy in Cordi Jesu is dedicated to them. It target Foreign Catholic universities students in Egypt, Catholic university students from the refugees and immigrant communities in Cairo and Egyptian university students resident in Cairo. Download the pamplet below to know more about the program and activities.
SACRED HEART CHURCH SAKAKINI
HELWAN SECONDARY SCHOOL
On 21st March 1887, many foreigners Catholic families gathered and requested Mgr. Sogaro for building a church which he accepted. It was built with a Holy Family school also. 3 students were registered for the school. The first Comboni missionary to work at school was Father Casimiro Giacomelli, and his assistant was Father Carlo Titz. They were celebrating liturgy in the house, however, on 10th september 1888, they bought a land which included four houses. They used two of them for the school and house and the other two houses were given to the Comboni Sisters for their house and school. 8th 1889 June the Church was built. It cost 5499 EP. which was collected by Comboni missionaries in Africa and Europe.
Comboni Missions in Egypt; is built by Mgr. Antonio Roveggio in 1897 as his cathedral in the Vicariate of Central African Mission.
The constructions of the two compounds, for the Fathers and the Sisters, were started together on 1896. On Monday after Pentecost, the 07 June 1897 the Comboni Fathers moved to the new building. The church was consecrated and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception by Mgr. Antonio Roveggio, on 15 August 1897. Long time later, on 30 November 2003, it would also be dedicated to Saint Daniel Comboni.
It is the only Catholic Latin rite church in the Governorate of Aswan. This Mission has a great historical value. The church preserved the ‘few bones’ of Comboni, brought from Khartoum on the 2nd October 1899 and the corps of Roveggio from the 25 June 1904 up to the 12 June 1958, when both relics were taken to Verona
From 1967 up to today, liturgy is being celebrated in two rites: the Latin and the Coptic catholic, due to an agreement between the two communities, since the Coptic Catholics were without a place to pray in.
OUR MISSIONS IN SUDAN
COMBONI COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Saint Daniel Comboni (1831-1881) was a holy priest who sacrificed his life for the good of Sudanese people in the XIX century and the first Catholic Bishop of Khartoum. He believed that Africa was to be regenerated through Africans. But this motto could just become a reality if those Africans were educated. At the beginning of the XX century, his followers founded a Religious Institute made up of Priests and consecrated Brothers who arrived in Sudan to continue Comboni´s work. Education became their main commitment in the country. In 1929 they founded a school, which was called “Comboni College Khartoum (CCK)”.
COMBONI PRIMARY SCHOOL
Established in 1947, where anciently the charcoal market used to be, it started as a primary boy school for grades 4-6 and intermediate classes. Sudanese National Curiculum is offered in Arabic, or – for those who choose so – in English. Currently serving over 1.150 students, all boys, from grade 1 to 8. Students and staff come from all regions of Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia.
COMBONI SECONDARY SCHOOL
Established in 1929 by initiative of the General Administration, as a commercial school. For many years it hosted only Christians and children of expats. Later on adopted the Oxford curriculum and since the 90’s it follows the Sudanese National Curriculum, which is offered in English. Currently serving over 400 students in the boys’ section and around 250 in the girls’. Students and staff come from all regions of Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia
ST MARY CHURCH KHARTOUM BAHRI
It was the procure for the missions in the South (by then there was a boat sailing from Bahri to the South) at the time of Comboni. It became a parish in 1954.
MASALMA PARISH OMDURMAN
First catholic church and parish after the Mahdiya. Here the first Eucharist was celebrated on 6/1/1900 after many years since the Mahdi had wiped away the catholic missions. This parish has been the mother of all other parishes in Omdurman. Currently serves other centres, up to the northernmost outstations of Qaria 55 and Qaria 10 in Kerere. The parish is also the location of a school for girls (k-12) and one for boys (from Kg to grade 8)
The community of Kosti was founded on the 24th December 1961, while the construction of the parish ended in 1972 and was dedicated to St. Paul the apostle. Kosti has always been an important and strategic town because of its geographical position. Located near the border with South Sudan, Kosti offers various ministries( refugee ministry, education and so on). Currently, St. Paul’s parish runs 7 primary schools, 2 junior secondary schools and 2 senior secondary schools. The parish has five outstations in the outskirts of Kosti and manage to administer only to three of them because of the number of Christians in those places.
Malbes was started by St. DanIel Comboni with the idea of forming a Christian village. Unfortunately, it did not outlive St. Daniel Comboni and the Mahdia revolution that came soon after. Recently, Malbes is becoming a place where the Comboni Family and the Diocese of El Obeid gather for days of recollection and pilgrimages.
SACRED HEART PARISH IN PORT SUDAN
It is the only Catholic parish of the Red Sea State in Sudan. We Comboni Missionaries are taking care of the parish, with its different outstations, some of which are hundreds of kilometers apart. In the town of Port Sudan there are two major schools of longer tradition, the primary and the secondary. Other five schools in the town outskirts provide primary education to thousands among the neediest.